Application Information for General R&D Subsidies (Overseas) Program
The Terumo Foundation for Life Sciences and Arts provides subsidies that support research and development programs in the medical, public health and other fields to those engaged in related research efforts in developing countries in Africa and other regions. The Foundation accepts applications for subsidies of programs based on the following instructions.
The Selection Committee, comprised of persons of learning and experience, makes decisions on the advisability of subsidizing applicants.
1. Requisites for Applicants/Applications
- Those engaged in R&D at public and private universities or affiliated research centers or facilities, as well as public or private research centers and facilities in developing countries in Africa or other regions.
- Multiple facilities engaged in joint R&D activities are also eligible (joint R&D with private companies is not covered. However, after the conclusion of this subsidy, it will be permissible to recommence the R&D with private companies.)
- Testing for licensing and approvals, such as for manufacturing approval or sales approval, as well as testing for sales promotions, is not covered under the subsidy.
2. Number of Subsidies and Application Period
- Two subsidies are available.
- Application period will be from June 1, 2016 to October 31, 2016
3. Subsidy Amount and Subsidy Period
The subsidy amount shall be three million yen for one year, per subsidy. As a general rule, each subsidy program will be scheduled to extend for two years following adoption by the Selection Committee. However, at the conclusion of the subsidy’s first year, subsidy fund recipients will be asked to file an interim report.
A recommender shall be submitted by the immediate supervisor of the subsidy applicant. Note that references are limited to one recommendation.
5. How to Apply
Download the application form listed below, fill in the information, and submit the application. Applications will be accepted at any time, and may be submitted via postal mail only or via both postal mail and email. Only the application form can be accepted as an electronic file attachment to emails.
- Please include contact information in Japan (e.g., related R&D organizations in Japan for collaborative research or medical institutions).
*They may be contacted as necessary
6. Selection Method
- Subsidy programs are chosen by the Selection Committee, with the Board of Directors making the final decision.
- Selections shall be made in a professional and academic manner by evaluating the contents such as the extent of contributions to society, originality, novelty, goals, and plans, in terms of R&D.
7. Issuance of Subsidy Funds
After deciding to subsidize a program, the Foundation shall make a lump sum remittance into the designated bank account.
8. Purpose of the Subsidy Funds
- Subsidy purpose shall be for expenses directly required by the eligible programs.
- Subsidy will not cover overhead costs such as indirect expenses of the applicant’s organization or general administrative costs.
9. Reporting of R&D Results
Subsidy recipients need to submit reports on program performance and income and expenditure, in the prescribed format within four months after the end of the subsidy period (See Item 2 about the interim report). The results may be uploaded to the Foundation’s website.
*Please download the report form listed below.
- “R&D Implementation Report” and “Income and Expenditure Report” Procedures - 30KB
- R&D Implementation Report Form - 38KB
- Income and Expenditure Report Form - 31KB
10. Other Points to Notice
- The names, organizations, and project themes of beneficiaries of subsidies written in the application form will be announced on our website.
- Applicant’s personal information will be used within the scope of conducting our subsidy.
- Submitted application forms will not be returned.
- Details of selections will not be disclosed.
- When carrying out R&D activities, please consider the protection of human rights for those individuals under study, eliminate any danger or disadvantage to those individuals due to the research methods, and explain to them and gain their understanding of the research conditions. Please also consider the protection of animals that may be the objects of study.
Inquiries and Application Submission
Terumo Foundation for Life Sciences and Arts
1500 Inokuchi, Nakai-machi, Ashigarakami-gun,
Kanagawa Prefecture, 259-0151 Japan
Attn: Yoshinori Kubota, Sadao Kato
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. jp